Translate

Saturday, 27 October 2012

Spraying session 3

Well, I decided against spaying single boards on their own, since it's....well....time consuming. But instead to do them two at a time,
Here's the two ready for spraying



And after




As predicted the uncovered areas of polystyrene melted away, more rapidly and deeper than anticipated.
Now all that's left to do is let them dry, then glue the surface for protection, and they should be ready for painting :) .

Well I used very little glue for both of the boards, about 2 and a quarter tubs of sand and I may consider buying some more spray paint, but I definitely need some more sand.

Anyway I've started to glue the surfaces as a protective layer.

Until then

Fish


Friday, 26 October 2012

Board work 3

Here's the second board in the process of glueing.
This one of the hilled boards:



This board has many more unsanded areas/bare patches, which will present a problem with spraying,
tomorrow the spraying should be done for the first two boards meaning it'll be almost done : D .

That concludes today's episode, for last week... : /.

Until then

Fish

Saturday, 13 October 2012

Board work 2

Today was mostly unsuccessful but things may improve easily.

First I worked out how much glue/water was needed for each board, which given the first coat is at a 2:1, water to glue, ratio means that I needed 160ml of water and 80ml of glue (quite unrealistic).
So half-wingin it, I applied the glue to patches of the board, then spread sand about that patch.
Unfortunately the sand dried in patches, leaving 'wooden' looking ground in areas. To solve this I rubbed the sand freeing the lose bits, then re-applied a layer of glue with the freed bits of sand. That now looks like:



The low hill from a model's eye view
Supposed to be the rocky patch
I also noticed that the larger sand particles came to the edges. If this happens on every board, then I will not be as worried.

The next step is to spray black,
then apply the basecoats,
before applying the final paint,
And then the flocking and varnish to finish.

But before I get into painting, flocking and the likes after the black primer is applied I'll move on to the next board, until all four are done :) .

A smaller instalment this week, but I have been putting together a list of names ready for Gondor in flames!!

Until then

Fish

Saturday, 6 October 2012

Modelling

Previously I ran out of plastic glue, so went out to get some. Along the way, and my primary intention of going out, I bought a litre of PVA glue for the battle board.
I hope this will be enough, since there was a 2 litre right beside it, which I decided against buying and doing some calculations:

Assuming a 1mm application height, and 1000cm3 of glue(1litre) also overall ratios equate to 6:6 = 1:1 glue to water.

therefore a max. volume of 2000cm3 (1000cm3 x 2)

2000cm3/0.1cm = area = 20000cm2

because I am covering a square board width = length

square root of 20000cm2 = 100 x (root)(2)

which is 141(-ish)cm either way.

the board is 48'' by 48'' = 121.9cm by 121.9cm

so the mixture should easily cover the board

Enough Maths, here's the modelled board:

Anyways, here's the modelling finished, or just more rocks added:

Where the two hilly boards meet
A small rocky patch
Another small rocky patch
A very tiny mound for the plain board
Will hopefully look better covered in sand


All being well I'll apply the sand tomorrow, then spray black then then another glue layer can be applied.

Until then

Fish

Total Pageviews